[CASL-L] This Thursday! Racial Equity Institute (REI) Groundwater Presentation | A Growing Equitable Library Services (GELS) Program & Postscript

Kymberlee Powe Kymberlee.Powe at ct.gov
Mon Feb 7 07:29:58 PST 2022

[Logo: CT State Library Division of Library Development]

[Logo: Growing Equitable Library Services (GELS) with human and tree graphic.]

A Growing Equitable Library Services (GELS) Program:

Racial Equity Institute (REI) Groundwater Presentation*

Thursday, February 10 | 1-4 pm
Register<https://cslib.libcal.com/event/8602462>

The Racial Equity Institute (REI) Groundwater Presentation is a three-hour introduction to Racial Equity. We welcome participation from all library staff from any position or types of libraries along with library board and trustee members.

In this virtual webinar, REI organizers will use stories and data to present a perspective that racism is fundamentally structural in nature. By examining characteristics of modern-day racial inequity, the presentation introduces participants to an analysis that most find immediately helpful and relevant. The Groundwater metaphor is designed to help practitioners at all levels internalize the reality that we live in a racially structured society, and that that is what causes racial inequity. The metaphor is based on three observations:

  1.  racial inequity looks the same across systems,
  2.  socio-economic difference does not explain the racial inequity; and,
  3.  inequities are caused by systems, regardless of people's culture or behavior.

Embracing these truths helps leaders confront the reality that all our systems, institutions, and outcomes emanate from the racial hierarchy, on which the United States was built. In other words, we have a "groundwater" problem, and we need "groundwater" solutions. Starting from there, we begin to unlock transformative change.

* With each GELS program, we will follow with GELS Postscript sessions for small group processing, engagement, and action.

A Growing Equitable Library Services (GELS) Postscript:
Racial Equity Institute (REI) Groundwater Presentation

Monday, February 14 | 10-11 am
Register<https://cslib.libcal.com/event/8794420>

Monday, February 14 | 2-3 pm
Register<https://cslib.libcal.com/event/8794429>

With each GELS program, we follow with a GELS Postscript session creating a small group space for processing, discussion, engagement, and determining action. These are braves spaces to speak, ask, and make mistakes. They are participatory and facilitated.

Please note, as these small group virtual sessions are participatory, we ask that you be prepared with camera and audio capabilities.

Growing Equitable Library Services (GELS)<https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRvTJbvPzFNeZ8WQZoUjRc5RQzJIDD_Oc> [Logo: Growing Equitable Library Services (GELS) with human and tree graphic.] <https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRvTJbvPzFNeZ8WQZoUjRc5RQzJIDD_Oc> is a workshop series that strives to build all of our understandings as library staff, that much of our library work has a strong common thread; we all need to consider how to create more accessible, DEI-conscious libraries with services rooted in social justice.

CT State Library is an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.

(c) 2016 CT State Library. All rights reserved.

Best,
Kym (she/her)
[cid:image007.png at 01D81C0D.A39AE6A0]
Kymberlee Powe | Children and YA Consultant | Kymberlee.Powe at ct.gov<mailto:Kymberlee.Powe at ct.gov> | Office: (860) 704-2221 | https://libguides.ctstatelibrary.org/dld/children | 786 S. Main St. Middletown, CT 06457| Fax: (860) 704-2228