[CASL-L] Follett Book Recommendations

Barbara Johnson bajohnson at colchesterct.org
Wed Feb 23 06:30:48 PST 2022

Hey there!
I am hoping that like anything else I select for the Library, multiple
sources are used and a District's materials selection policy includes
professional reviews and recommendations from a variety of sources.

Barb

On Wed, Feb 23, 2022, 9:24 AM Maureen Schlosser via CASL-L <
casl-l at mylist.net> wrote:

> Hello, Everyone!
> Does Follett market books to persuade librarians to purchase the books?
> This seems like a ridiculous question to me, but I am retired in Florida
> now, and the local superintendent and a BOE are investigating the following
> question:
>

> "Investigate the Follette Learning School System’s process for
> recommending books to our schools. Are there other library/media center
> library systems that offer the same or similar services as Follette and
> Renaissance but with stricter practices on their recommendations?"
>
> They believe that Follett pushes books that are inappropriate for school
> libraries. I loved Follett when I worked in CT. I remember being able to
> read book reviews and click on collections based on awards.
> I don't like the picture they are painting of the school librarians here.
> This whole idea makes the school librarians look like they have no agency
> over what Follett sends them. To me it's absurd, but if there is any truth
> to it, I'd like to find out before I speak at the next BOE meeting.
> Thank you for your help!
> I miss CT!
>

> Maureen Schlosser
> Author: Lessons Inspired by Picture Books for Primary Grades
> <https://www.alastore.ala.org/content/lessons-inspired-picture-books-primary-grades-aasl-standards%E2%80%93based-learning-series>
> Blog: Library Lessons With Books
> <https://wordpress.com/view/librarylessonswithbooks.com> and
> KnowledgeQuest <http://knowledgequest.aasl.org/author/mschlosser/>

Please be aware that email communication can be intercepted in transmission
or misdirected. Please communicate sensitive information by telephone or in
person.