[CASL-L] Follett Book Recommendations

Cheryl Robertson robertsonc at guilfordschools.org
Wed Feb 23 06:44:19 PST 2022

I agree with Barb.  Just because a book is recommended doesn't mean it's an
automatic purchase.  Librarians know what to do, and their professionalism
should be respected.

On Wed, Feb 23, 2022 at 9:31 AM Barbara Johnson <bajohnson at colchesterct.org>
wrote:

> Hey there!
> I am hoping that like anything else I select for the Library, multiple
> sources are used and a District's materials selection policy includes
> professional reviews and recommendations from a variety of sources.
>
> Barb
>
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2022, 9:24 AM Maureen Schlosser via CASL-L <
> casl-l at mylist.net> wrote:
>
>> Hello, Everyone!
>> Does Follett market books to persuade librarians to purchase the books?
>> This seems like a ridiculous question to me, but I am retired in Florida
>> now, and the local superintendent and a BOE are investigating the following
>> question:
>>

>> "Investigate the Follette Learning School System’s process for
>> recommending books to our schools. Are there other library/media center
>> library systems that offer the same or similar services as Follette and
>> Renaissance but with stricter practices on their recommendations?"
>>
>> They believe that Follett pushes books that are inappropriate for school
>> libraries. I loved Follett when I worked in CT. I remember being able to
>> read book reviews and click on collections based on awards.
>> I don't like the picture they are painting of the school librarians here.
>> This whole idea makes the school librarians look like they have no agency
>> over what Follett sends them. To me it's absurd, but if there is any truth
>> to it, I'd like to find out before I speak at the next BOE meeting.
>> Thank you for your help!
>> I miss CT!
>>

>> Maureen Schlosser
>> Author: Lessons Inspired by Picture Books for Primary Grades
>> <https://www.alastore.ala.org/content/lessons-inspired-picture-books-primary-grades-aasl-standards%E2%80%93based-learning-series>
>> Blog: Library Lessons With Books
>> <https://wordpress.com/view/librarylessonswithbooks.com> and
>> KnowledgeQuest <http://knowledgequest.aasl.org/author/mschlosser/>

> Please be aware that email communication can be intercepted in
> transmission or misdirected. Please communicate sensitive information by
> telephone or in person._______________________________________________
> CASL-L mailing list
> CASL-L at mylist.net

*Cheryl A. Robertson*
*Teacher Librarian, E.C. Adams Middle School*
*Click here for homepage
<https://sites.google.com/guilfordschools.org/amslmc/home>*

*"Reading should not be presented to children as a chore, a duty.  It
should be offered as a gift." ~Kate DiCamillo*

*CURRENTLY READING*
*John Green *by Christine Poolos
*Middlemarch *by George Eliot
*Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass* by Meg Medina

*CURRENTLY LISTENING*
*Transcendent Kingdom *by Yaa Gyasi
*Red at the Bone *by Jacqueline Woodson

*RECENTLY FINISHED*
*Change Sings *by Amanda Gorman
*There There* by Tommy Orange
*The Anthropocene Reviewed* by John Green
*Destiny of the Republic* by Candice Millard
*Picturing a Nation* by Martin W. Sandler
*Dash & Lily's Book of Dares *by Cohn & Levithan
*The Silence Between Us* by Alison Gervais
*Melissa's Story (George) *by Alex Gino
*Media Bias* by Ashley Nicole
*The Four Winds *by Kristin Hannah

CONFIDENTIAL: This email and any files transmitted with it may contain
information that is confidential and is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Be advised that
forwarding,
saving, printing, copying, or taking any action on the contents
of this message
may be prohibited. If you have received this email in
error, please notify the
original sender and delete the message and any
attachments from your computer.
Messages to or from the Guilford Public
Schools may be subject to the Freedom
of Information Act (Conn. Gen. Stat.