[CASL-L] Pre-K-5 Database Recommendations

Elaine Shapiro elaine.shapiro7 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 06:32:58 PST 2023

At our preK-4 school, we have these (see below for a guide I made for
teachers with features of each one).  I agree that PebbleGo is very good
and probably most popular.  This year I bought PebbleGo Create but haven't
used it yet, so can't comment on that feature.  The district pays for World
Book, and we pushed for the Gale databases, but pay for those from our own
budgets.  We have 1 elementary, 1 middle, and 1 high school.  What
attracted me to Gale is the option to read the same article at different
reading levels.  However,  the simplest versions don't always make sense.

I like having 3 research options because I had the idea a few years ago to
have students try to answer the same question using several sources, as an
intro to teaching fact checking.  I have not perfected that lesson yet.

* *World Book online*

Choose “Kids” (Students is for grades 5+).

- keyword search

- audio option (choice of accents)

- Some links to outside websites with additional information

- Includes learning games

- embedded dictionary: highlight the word and double click

- Citation guidelines.

* *Pebble Go *

Topics:  Animals, Social Studies, Science, Health, Biographies

- visual or keyword search

- Short easy to read articles.

- audio option

- embedded dictionary for certain hyperlinked words

- Read More feature:  links to online books for further information

- activities

- citation guidance

* *Pebble Go Next*    Choose *PebbleGo Next*

Topics:  States, Social Studies, Science, American Indian History,
Biographies

- visual or keyword search

- Longer articles.

- audio option

- activity suggestions

- embedded dictionary: click on any word.

- citation guidance

** Gale in context Elementary*

- visual or keyword search

- audio option

- encyclopedia, magazine, news, and biography articles

- articles rated with dots to denote reading level.  One dot is easiest.
Five is hardest.

- translation (both written and audio) is available for many
articles/languages.

- embedded dictionary: highlight a word and choose Define

- citation guidance