[CASL-L] [EXTERNAL] Re: Helping kid remember to return their books

Martha Wright marthawright at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 06:21:52 PST 2023

Hello CASL colleagues,

I've been following this thread with interest and wanted to add that I work
in a high school and am finding this a challenge.  This is my first year
here--this library has not been operational for the past few years.
Although many students have been checking out materials (to my delight),
they don't seem to prioritize bringing them back.  One student I chased
down (because someone else wanted her book that was overdue) told me that
it was just sitting next to her bed at home and that she had never read
it.  I was like, well bring it back then!!!  I don't have the time or
energy to do this with everybody.

In addition to stuff that's been checked out this year, we also have a lot
of materials that have been out for several years, pre-dating my time
here.  For these long-term overdues, we just sent letters home and hope
that we get some back that way.  Will plan to continue doing this every
other month until the end of school.

Any words of wisdom for the 9-12 crowd?

With thanks,
Martha Wright