[CASL-L] Great opportunity for Elementary teachers/Librarians TONIGHT (sorry for late notice)

Melissa Thom melissa_thom at whps.org
Wed May 3 09:38:05 PDT 2023

Hello,

I am sharing this on behalf of CCSS:

[image: 53-CCSS PLC Weekly Invite.png]
------------------
Hey, all,

I hope you are well.  Many of you know that I have had the privilege of
facilitating K-8 teacher communities of practice focused on integrating
AAPI studies during this school year in preparation for the legislation
focused on this integration to officially launch in school year 2025-2026.
A group of teachers from the first semester community of practice will be
sharing the work that they have done in their school community this coming
Wednesday, May 3.  Please join us on Zoom from 5:30-6:30 pm.  Check out the
attached flyer and register through this link:
https://ctsocialstudies.org/meetinginfo.php?id=22&ts=1682621720

Quick description of the session (about 30 minutes of presentation and 30
minutes for Q&A/collab):
AAPI Studies Integration in Elementary School Classrooms
Jess, Lauren, Lisa, and Trish are teachers at East Haddam Elementary.
During the first semester, they participated in an AAPI studies teacher
community of practice, and worked together to integrate AAPI studies across
their classrooms through intentional text selection, as well as having
their students practice inquiry skills through oral history interviewing of
community members and authors.  Please join us to learn about their process
and work in preparation for the education legislative mandate that launches
in school year 2025-2026 with K-12 AAPI studies integration in CT public
schools and more importantly, to ensure all students have windows and
mirrors in their school community.

I hope you can join us!  Please feel free to share with other K-8
educators, especially classroom teachers!
JHD

Jenny (JHD) Heikkila Díaz
she/her/hers & they/them/theirs
(562) 221-1798 (cell)
jennyh at aya.yale.edu

Melissa Thom
she | her | hers    *What is this? <https://www.mypronouns.org/>*
@MsThomBookitis
Bristow Middle School Teacher Librarian
West Hartford Public Schools
Bristow Library Learning Commons Webpage: h
<http://blog.whps.org/bristowlibrarylearningcommons>ttp://
bit.ly/BristowLibrary
*Follow us on Twitter: @bristowllc*
*Follow me on Goodreads
<https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/10867206-melissa-thom> *
*Join the Libro.fm ACL <https://libro.fm/alc-program> and receive free
audiobooks each month! Use my referral code: **lfm82519*

*Currently Reading:     *
*Nothing is Little* by Carmella Van Vleet
*Moonflower* by Kacen Callender
*Textured Teaching: A Framework for Culturally Sustaining Practices* by
Lorena Ecsoto German **Professional
*Currently Listening:*
*Suggested Reading *by Dave Connis  (Hoopla)
*We Are Not Free* by Traci Chee (Hoopla)
*Recently Finished:      *
*The Personal Librarian *by Marie Benedict
*Map of Flames (The Forgotten Five #1) *by Lisa McMann
*Controlled Burn* by Erin Soderberg Downing
*When Winter Robeson Came* by Brenda Woods
*Hope to Read Next:*
*Working on the 2023 Nutmeg Nominees <http://nutmegaward.org/>*
*Send me your recommendations!*
Check out my blog all about books and reading!
http://www.msthomsbookitis.weebly.com

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:
This West Hartford Public Schools e-mail may contain