[CASL-L] Book challenge policies

Elaine Shapiro elaine.shapiro7 at gmail.com
Wed May 3 12:57:39 PDT 2023

Dear colleagues,
We LMSs in East Windsor are recommending changes to our BOE collection and
challenged book policies, and have a couple questions.
1.  What is your district's time line for gathering copies of a book being
challenged, and having a reconsideration committee read the book?  We
suggested 4 weeks, because we felt it would take time to gather copies from
other libraries, particularly if the book is in high demand. But we wonder
if 6 weeks is better.
2.  In this document, posted by Martha Hickson,
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12KL1PsNJmAStpq7FuM2LpdE-eUS6SNBg/view?pli=1
there is a wonderful list of NJ state instructional regulations, that book
challengers need to explain why the questioned book does not meet.
I'd like to find such a list for CT.  Has anyone done this?
Thank you for your thoughts,
Elaine Shapiro, East Windsor Public Schools
[image: image.png]