[MCOH-EH] Side positioning devices for bariatric patients

Lisa Dyrdahl Lisa_Dyrdahl at Valleymed.org
Thu Aug 14 11:40:19 PDT 2014

Diane - I consulted with our lift and ergo team and this was their response:

I have not seen a bed that can tilt a patient side to side.  What we have seen is a mattress that is able to raise and lower each side to turn the patient back and forth.  The idea is that this prevents pressure ulcers.  I did not get a chance to use this for cleaning but I do know that this bed was not a very good option as it did not work well.  The patient was very uncomfortable and it was difficult to get the bed to work how we wanted it to.

Our solution for cleaning immobile bariatric patients is that we place a mesh sling underneath them and attach one side to our ceiling lifts or portable ceiling lift.  The other side is attached to the bed with elastic straps so that the sling does not get pulled through.  We can raise the ceiling lift which pulls the patient's body over.  From there we have one care giver hold the patient's leg as it is draped over the side of the bed.  This holds them in a turned position.  One person controlling the lift can lower it which provides full access to the patients back side.  I am guessing that this is the method that they are using at Tuality Healthcare.

If this is their method then you could suggest covering the sling with a top sheet and a chuck on top of that.  This is what we do here and it seems to keep our slings clean for many days.  When the sling is soiled we replace with another one.  The layering that we provide under the patient is as follows... bed mattress, mesh sling, white top sheet, chuck, and then patient.

Thanks,

James (Jamie) Bowman, BS, NREMT
Ergonomic Educator
425-228-3440
Ext. 4419, 4421

Lisa Dyrdahl, RN BSN
Employee Health Nurse
Valley Medical Center - MAC Rm 152
P: 425-228-3440 x5720 F: 425-656-5066
Lisa_Dyrdahl at Valleymed.org<mailto:Lisa_Dyrdahl at Valleymed.org>