[MCOH-EH] MRSA screening of HCW

Swift, Melanie melanie.swift at Vanderbilt.Edu
Thu May 8 10:30:10 PDT 2014

I am seeking input from people where state/local regulation or institutional policy requires screening HCW for MRSA colonization. (Routine screening, outside of an outbreak investigation scenario.) We are not doing this and are not planning to, but with MRSA being added to the reported HAIs we have an institutional task force looking at all aspects of the issue.

1.       What is your facility and state?

2.       Who requires this (state or local health dept, other regulation, institutional policy)?

3.       Is screening done at hire or periodically?

a.       If periodically, what interval?

4.       Are colonized workers treated?

a.       Is treatment voluntary?

b.      Do HCW continue working during treatment?

c.       Do you confirm eradication?

5.       Any anecdotal experience to share?

Thanks so much,
Melanie

Melanie Swift, MD
Director, Vanderbilt Occupational Health Clinic
http://occupationalhealth.vanderbilt.edu