[MCOH-EH] MRSA screening of HCW

Viereck, Maryann mviereck at caperegional.com
Thu May 8 10:41:50 PDT 2014

Maryann Viereck RN,BS,CEN,COHN-S
Employee Health Coordinator
Cape Regional Medical Center
2 Stone Harbor Blvd
Cape May Court House, NJ 08210
phone 609-463-2512
fax 609-463-2910

From: MCOH-EH [mailto:mcoh-eh-bounces at mylist.net] On Behalf Of Swift, Melanie
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2014 1:30 PM
To: MCOH/EH
Subject: [MCOH-EH] MRSA screening of HCW

I am seeking input from people where state/local regulation or institutional policy requires screening HCW for MRSA colonization. (Routine screening, outside of an outbreak investigation scenario.) We are not doing this and are not planning to, but with MRSA being added to the reported HAIs we have an institutional task force looking at all aspects of the issue.

1.       What is your facility and state  General medical Surgical Hospital/NJ

2.       Who requires this (state or local health dept, other regulation, institutional policy)?None

3.       Is screening done at hire or periodically?  Not done at all

a.       If periodically, what interval?

4.       Are colonized workers treated? No

a.       Is treatment voluntary?

b.      Do HCW continue working during treatment?

c.       Do you confirm eradication?

5.       Any anecdotal experience to share? Have physicians who regularly  self-apply bactroban nasally as a prevention measure and share this with staff to do same., Not may do

Thanks so much,
Melanie

Melanie Swift, MD
Director, Vanderbilt Occupational Health Clinic
http://occupationalhealth.vanderbilt.edu

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, from Cape
Regional Health System contains information which is CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR LEGALLY
PRIVILEGED.The information is intended only for the use of the individual named
above and may not be disseminated to any other party without Cape Regional Health
System's written permission. If you are not the intended recipient, or the
employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, disclosure,
distribution, copying or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this
e-mailed information is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this e-mail in
error, please notify us immediately by telephone at 609-463-2163 to arrange for
the return of these documents to us without cost to you.