[MCOH-EH] Decon Team - medical clearance

Kris Arnold karnold at bu.edu
Mon May 12 21:32:04 PDT 2014

Dr. Ramirez,

Although the jobs are not exactly the same, the safety sensitive nature of
decon work and the physiological stresses of being in the suits may make it
worth your while to look at the ACOEM Guidance for Medical Evaluation of
Law Enforcement Officers (http://www.acoem.org/Login.aspx) or the NFPA
standard 1582 for firefighters (
http://www.nfpa.org/codes-and-standards/document-information-pages?mode=code&code=1582&tab=nextedition).
 Unfortunately, the ACOEM document costs 50USD for a subscription.

As noted, neither of these documents was designed for exactly your
population, but many of the principles are the same as a safety sensitive
job in adverse conditions and these will help you think of issues you may
want to address.

By way of disclaimer, I am a member of the ACOEM task group developing the
LEO guidances.  I am not a member of the 1582 development committee.

Good luck.

Kris Arnold, MD, MPH, FACEP