[MCOH-EH] Mandatory Flu Vaccinations

Cunha, Bruce E. cunha.bruce at marshfieldclinic.org
Tue May 13 12:51:31 PDT 2014

We implemented a Mandatory Influenza vaccination program last year.  All employees must be vaccinated by December 1 or have a Medical or Religious Exemption.  All requests for medical exception are reviewed by the Medical Director of Employee Health.  If he feels the reason meets the CDC guidelines, he can approve the exception.  If he does not approve it, the employee can appeal to a three physician panel.  If the panel does not approve the medical exception, the employee has to be vaccinated or is terminated.   The panel does have the ability to refer to allergy if there is some question on if the medical condition is an allergic issue.

Religious issues are reviewed by HR and the employee has to present their reasons to a panel for review.  Most people that claim a religious exception are granted.

We also offer a variety of influenza vaccines to eliminate issues with mercury, other preservatives and the issue that some companies that produce flu vaccine also product vaccines that were derived from aborted fetal cells.(even though the influenza vaccine was not derived from these).

We do not require masking for persons with exceptions unless they would need a mask due to the patients they are working on (high risk, or symptomatic for upper respiratory disease).

We did have 4 employees out of 8,000 that quit or were terminated last year relating to the flu vaccination.  All persons that were terminated did not get unemployment (2 cases went to our state appeals system and the courts found in our favor)

Bruce E. Cunha RN MS COHN-S
Manager, Employee Health and Safety
Marshfield Clinic
Marshfield WI.