[MCOH-EH] Influenza Vaccine Compliance by physicians and consequences

Denece O Kesler DKesler at salud.unm.edu
Thu Nov 6 08:36:19 PST 2014

All,
We have made the influenza vaccine a mandatory requirement for all health care workers (with the wearing of a mask for those who are not eligible/granted an exemption).  While we have solid HR backing for discipline for non-physicians who are not compliant, we are having a little resistance regarding what to do with the physician who either refuses the vaccine or refuses to wear a mask. I reviewed the emails from May in this group that discussed what consequences are in use, and I didn't see this specific topic so my questions are the following:

1.      Are you following the same consequences for physician noncompliance (especially in the academic setting, but with any organization) as with other staff?

2.      Does your discipline include suspensions/possibility of terminations and if so, has any one had to take such action against a physician?  If you did take such action, did the organization follow through on the discipline?

Thank you for your help!
Denece

Denece Kesler, MD, MPH
Medical Director
COEHP
University of New Mexico

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This e-mail, including all attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited unless specifically provided for under the New Mexico Inspection of Public Records Act. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of this message. Any views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the University of New Mexico.