[MCOH-EH] Lift Teams and Howard Medical Carts

Pless, Betsy S. bpless at armc.org
Mon Feb 9 08:46:05 PST 2015

We are trying to reduce our number of work related lifting injuries and
wondered if you could respond to the following:

1.       Does your facility utilize Lift Teams?

2.       If yes-what type of initial and annual training/education do
you provide for them?

3.       Does your facility have a "no lift" policy?

4.       If yes, did you purchase/install additional  lift assistive in
order to achieve the "no lift" requirement.

5.       We are finding that many of our "lifting" injuries are "in
bed"types of  moving-sliding, rolling etc. The nurses say they don't
have time to call and wait on the lift team.  Is the lift team utilized
for these types of movements in your facility?

We are also seeing some issues r/t the Howard Medical Carts
http://www.howard-medical.com/medcarts/
<http://www.howard-medical.com/medcarts/>  .  The nurses are required to
always use them when giving meds. They take them into the patient room
because they scan the band prior to giving the medicine. The nurses turn
off the steer assist because when the steer assist is on-the carts do
not turn unless you come to a complete stop first. We are seeing c/o
back, hip and knee pain. Are any of you seeing these type of issues in
your facility?

Thanks much

Betsy

Betsy Pless, PhD, FNP-C, COHN-S