[MCOH-EH] Needle size

Lisa S. Hegel Lisa.S.Hegel at hitchcock.org
Tue Nov 17 07:32:44 PST 2015

We have significantly decreased the number of "arm complaints" related to flu (and other IM vaccinations) buy using 25ga. 1 ½" needles on all patients weighing over 130#. We obviously don't weigh staff or ask for a weight but have gotten very good at determining needle size simply by looking at the arm.  As well, using a 25 ga. needle provides for an essentially pain-free injection.  We give approximately 8,000 injections during flu season.

Lisa Hegel, APRN MS, COHN-S
Occupational and Environmental Medicine
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
Lebanon, NH 03756

IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING THIS ELECTRONIC MESSAGE:

This message is intended for the use of the person to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, your use of this message for any purpose is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please delete the message and notify the sender so that we may correct our records.