[MCOH-EH] Employee mental health record

Sampson, Deborah Deborah.Sampson at snhhs.org
Fri Feb 19 11:23:29 PST 2016

Although I suspect that state law may have some bearing on what you can and can't do, I would not call this employee. This isa personal issue and you shouldn't contact her PCP without the employee's written permission and at her request. HIPAA rules prevent the PCP from speaking to you and in most places, employment law could be such that you shouldn't call her either.

The manager should not be deciding "fit for duty'. That is for Employee Health based on well-defined policies and processes.
Deb
Deborah A. Sampson, PhD, APRN, COHN-S, FAANP
Director
Employee Health and Wellness Services
Southern New Hampshire Health   P.O.Box 2014   8 Prospect Street   Nashua, NH 03060
p(603) 281-8583  f (603) 577-5665
deborah.sampson at snhhealth.org<mailto:deborah.sampson at snhhealth.org>