[MCOH-EH] Employees with body odor

Enass Awad umhaneen at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 07:30:50 PST 2016

Dear colleagues:
  I was wondering if any of you have any experience or a procedure that
help in dealing with an employee of bad body odor.
  Employees in a department have reported complaints against one of their
colleagues who recently joined  , stating that he has bad body odor in
general and halitosis. The manager approached his in a discrete way to
address the issue and he informed the manager that he has a "medical
condition" which causes the bad odor.
  Some coworkers believe it is a hygiene issue and HR is trying to validate
the medical concerns as it can have them handle the situation differently.
  Please share any thoughts or previous experiences particularly as it
relates to protecting this employee's privacy and how to ensure the
correspondence with HR should be.
  We already let them know, that we will need to get the employee's consent
if we were to disclose the nature of any medical condition and otherwise,
we will only be able to say whether or not we have identified a "medical
condition" that can cause such symptoms in which case, we can request
special accommodations for him.

Thanks and look forward to your feedback,

Enass

--
Enass Awad A/Rahman,MD,MPH
Department of Occupational Medicine

"We can enrich the world if we choose to embrace our similarities; we can
destroy the world if we choose to emphasize our differences."