[MCOH-EH] BBP

Thrasher, Terri Terri.Thrasher at cchmc.org
Wed May 18 13:45:41 PDT 2016

I have previously shared with the group.. my frustration at being unable to find a safety needle and syringe that could be utilized for the delivery of Lovenox to small children and babies.
We have a lot of BBP exposures as a result of giving Lovenox in a device without a safety syringe.
When we attempted to use a different device we have had patient errors due to dosing issues.

The need that our pharmacy felt was important was a barrel circumference of the syringe that was a 3/10ths or ½ cc syringe.   We also wanted to have it calibrated in 10ths of a cc for accurate dosing for babies. And obviously a short needle for sub q injection (especially in babies).   And with a safety device.

I am excited to share that we have found a syringe for trial.
It is made by Sol-CARE and is .5 ml and calibrated in tenths of a cc with a safety needle that is 1/2inch and 27G.
The manufacturer indicates they can also make different sized barrels and needles with the safety device.

I wanted to share my excitement for anyone else who experiences the same issue we have had.
I will let you know how our trial goes.

Regards,
Terri

Terri L. Thrasher RN MSN
Sr. Director HR Professional Services
Employee Health, Occupational Safety, Environmental Health, Workers Compensation, 803-SAFE, Injury Management, Non CCHMC Badging, Early Education and Childcare Center
3333 Burnet Ave
Cincinnati Ohio 45229  MLC 9006