[MCOH-EH] Furniture in Patient Care Areas

Derrico, Barbara (IHS/OKC/LAW) Barbara.Derrico at ihs.gov
Wed Sep 28 12:35:31 PDT 2016

http://www.cdc.gov/hicpac/pdf/guidelines/eic_in_HCF_03.pdf

Guidelines for Environmental Infection Control in Health-Care Facilities  Page 79-80
b. Cloth Furnishings Upholstered furniture and furnishings are becoming increasingly common in patient-care areas. These furnishings range from simple cloth chairs in patients' rooms to a complete decorating scheme that gives the interior of the facility more the look of an elegant hotel.1033 Even though pathogenic microorganisms have been isolated from the surfaces of cloth chairs, no epidemiologic evidence suggests that general patient-care areas with cloth furniture pose increased risks of health-care- 80 associated infection compared with areas that contain hard-surfaced furniture.1034, 1035 Allergens (e.g., dog and cat dander) have been detected in or on cloth furniture in clinics and elsewhere in hospitals in concentrations higher than those found on bed linens.1034, 1035 These allergens presumably are transferred from the clothing of visitors. Researchers have therefore suggested that cloth chairs should be vacuumed regularly to keep the dust and allergen levels to a minimum. This recommendation, however, has generated concerns that aerosols created from vacuuming could place immunocompromised patients or patients with preexisting lung disease (e.g., asthma) at risk for development of health-care-associated, environmental airborne disease.9, 20, 109, 988 Recovering worn, upholstered furniture (especially the seat cushion) with covers that are easily cleaned (e.g., vinyl), or replacing the item is prudent; minimizing the use of upholstered furniture and furnishings in any patientcare areas where immunosuppressed patients are located (e.g., HSCT units) reduces the likelihood of disease.9

This is from the CDC.  Link attached.  Hope this helps,

Barbara Derrico BSN RN
Lawton Indian Hospital
OR Supervisor
Office 2-35   2nd Floor  Day Surgery
Phone:  580-354-5454
Fax:  580-354-5212
Barbara.derrico at ihs.gov<mailto:Barbara.derrico at ihs.gov>
Follow us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/ocaihs
https://www.facebook.com/LawtonIHS

Prevention is Proactive...wash in-wash out.   Every patient-every day!

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This transmission is intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution, copying of or taking of any action in reliance upon this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please delete it from your system without copying or forwarding it, and notify the sender of the error by reply e-mail