[MCOH-EH] [EXTERNAL] t spot vs. quantiferon gold

Thanassi, Wendy Wendy.Thanassi at va.gov
Tue Oct 4 14:02:15 PDT 2016

Hi Whitney,

Both IGRAs are vastly superior to TST from an opportunity cost,
efficiency, indirect cost, convenience (faster onboarding, less lost
work time) etc.

There are a ton of considerations:

QFT can be run in almost hospital lab on a standard ELISA (dynax,
evolis) machine with the correct software. It's commonly run in public
health labs and by Lab Corps and other major lab companies. 1 plate
holds 26 samples and takes the lab about an hour of lab tech time. The
Gov cost is $19 per test. But it needs to be drawn by phlebotomists into
the company's three 1ml tubes. They need to shake it and then incubate
it within 8 hours of the draw. After incubation, it doesn't need to be
run for 3 days and the plasma can be stored for 30 days. This is a great
OH option because employees are here during the day but it's not a great
bedside patient choice. Because of the incubations, we run QFT Mon-Thurs
and grab TSPOTs on Fridays.

TSPOT is a "green-top" in a box, draw into a 9ml LiHep tube (some labs
draw 2 tubes) and mail it. Gov cost is $50.15 each. They all fly by
FedEx to Memphis so weather and road issues can cause you to lose lots
of tests. It's a ficoll-separation assay that is run by the TSPOT
company in their own lab.

QFT is a lot more common in the US and TSPOT in Europe. They are about
the same in quality, with a bit higher specificity (trust the negatives)
for QFT. Both of them give you results in 2-3 days.

There's a lot more info to consider.

You could call me any time if you want.

Wendy Thanassi MD

650-380-1131