[MCOH-EH] [External] cast, knee scooters and foot boots

Sampson, Deborah Deborah.Sampson at snhhs.org
Fri Dec 16 06:53:46 PST 2016

We have formerly prevented anyone on a scooter or crutches to come to work because of concerns with safety (theirs and others) as well as concerns about the person with such a device being unable to respond quickly for evacuation in case of disaster or fire.

Recently our employment/labor attorney encouraged us to think again about a 'blanket' policy in these case because of concerns about violating ADA precepts. So now we will be evaluating on a case by case basis and it will be EHS decision-first based on job description work requirements and secondly larger safety issues.

My opinion is that anyone on a scooter or crutches cannot evacuation a building using stairs in a safe, rapid manner that will not put others (and self) at risk. I also do not see us clearing scooters and crutches for use in a patient care area-too busy and architecturally not able to accommodate the use of devices safely.

We do allow closed toe surgical boots but not for direct patient care or transport (too much risk of hurting foot since these items are soft). Closed toe cam boots are OK in some situations-open toe in others. Our patient accounts personnel are OK using cams for example.

And working from home can be problematic for these folks because they would still be 'covered' by workers comp laws in our state mandate that we cover these home-working employees for injuries incurred in the home during their work hours.

Hand devices (splints/wraps/sutured areas) cannot be used for areas where hand hygiene is critical to prevent contamination from/to patients or contaminated items.

Deborah A. Sampson, PhD, APRN, COHN-S, FAANP
Director
Employee Health and Wellness Services
Southern New Hampshire Health   P.O.Box 2014   8 Prospect Street   Nashua, NH 03060
p(603) 281-8583  f (603) 577-5665
deborah.sampson at snhhealth.org<mailto:deborah.sampson at snhhealth.org>