[MCOH-EH] Safety procedures

Kate Miller kemiller at stcharleshealthcare.org
Mon May 8 16:06:09 PDT 2017

I’m sorry that you see it that way. I see it as a slow change. It is always good to create a safe policy but it is often difficult to implement. With constant budget changes and daily changes some leadership have other things that are a priority but we know that they are working toward the goal of safety always. I think it unrealistic to believe that you can enact change with a policy overnight.
I know that I’m old but I remember when we only used gloves with an isolation patient.  The change to wear gloves with any procedure was a slow one that was instituted in the early 90’s with the advent of HIV/AIDS. Even with this danger in the field the continued use didn’t really come into fruition until the mid 90’s.  I know that if you were to tell a young nurse working in direct patient care today that we didn’t wear gloves when I started working they would cringe.
Some things take a while.

Kate Miller, RN
Caregiver Health Nurse
541-706-4771 (office) 541-706-2694 (fax)
kemiller at stcharleshealthcare.org

St. Charles Health System 2500 NE Neff Road Bend OR 97701 www.stcharleshealthcare.org

Drop In Calendar Link:
Drop-In Clinic Calendar and Locations<http://quality.scmc.org/Lists/Caregiver%20Health%20Dropin%20Calendar/calendar.aspx>