[MCOH-EH] consent for flu vaccines

Philip Adamo philipad1 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 10 10:49:43 PDT 2017

Hello all
In the past we have had employees sign a consent when we administer the flu
vaccine. We do not do this for any other vaccine because the CDC states if
the VIS is provided and documented that it was given, no written consent is
needed. in our sate of Massachusetts, written consents are not mandatory.

This year we have an electronic tracking of giving an employee the flu
vaccine. It automatically goes into our data base and the employee and
their manager receive confirmation of the vaccine and the pertinent
information. It also goes into our EMR and then transmitted to the MIIS for
Massachusetts DPH.

Our leadership is questioning  the elimination of the consent form(this
would be about 12,500 pieces of paper). Their question is "what are other
hospitals doing?"

Are any of you willing to share your consent policy?

Thanks,
Philip Adamo, M.D., MPH
Senior Medical Director EHS and occupational  Medicine
Baystate Health
Springfield, MA