[MCOH-EH] zika testing when zika researcher had possible exposure off work

Michael A. Sauri, MD, MPH&TM, FACP, FACPM msauri at ohcmd.com
Mon Oct 9 22:28:00 PDT 2017

Michelle,

I serve as the Occupational Medicine consultant for several research
facilities in the Washington, DC metropolitan area actively involved in Zika
Virus research, as well as, a large multinational (non-biotech) Company and
several Biomedical Research Companies that regularly sends its employees to
Zika Virus endemic areas.  I will share with you my experience in this
matter.

In general, all of these Companies have a policy that require ALL employees
to be review the CDC Zika Virus web site (www.cdc.gov/zika
<http://www.cdc.gov/zika>  )  concerning the most current advice for
travelers to Zika Virus endemic areas prior to any assignment to these
areas.  Furthermore, all of these Companies have a policy that they will NOT
allow pregnant women to work in these assignments.

Furthermore, most of these Companies will permit women of childbearing age
to work directly with the Zika virus and to  travel to Zika Virus endemic
areas. That said, most of these Companies will require a signed consent form
by the employee that they have, at the minimum, reviewed the CDC Zika Virus
web site in order to document for the Company that they were compliant with
the OSHA General Purpose Clause, as well as, to address any potential legal
liability.  None of the Companies have elected to pursue routine commercial
"pre-exposure" or "post-exposure" Zika virus testing of these asymptomatic,
non-pregnant employees.

Incidentally, I was called earlier this year to manage a female researcher
of child bearing age who suffered a needle-stick exposure from a Zika Virus
laboratory-infected ferret.  The local Health Department and State of
Maryland were duly contacted.   Due to the fact that this was an
occupationally-related exposure, I was immediately referred to CDC for
testing of the employee. The CDC contact referred me to their Fort Collins,
Colorado lab which apparently handles all Zika Virus blood and urine testing
in the USA.  Thankfully, the researcher was not pregnant nor did she
seroconvert from the exposure.

I hope this is helpful.

Sincerely,

Michael