[MCOH-EH] immunizations/ TB testing who pays?

Philip Adamo philipad1 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 08:12:22 PST 2018

Hello colleagues,
I have been in EHS for various hospital for over 20 years. The hospitals/medical centers have always provided the required immunizations and TB testing and assume the costs of delivering this service.

I have been approached by one of our leaders that the hospital should only consider employing someone if they meet our immunization requirements and that they pay to go to their PCP for immunizations and TB testing. I know OSHA specifically addresses that the Hospital pays for the Hep B vaccination and titters in the BBP regulation. I cannot find other documents to supporting that hospitals are not responsible fro MMR V and Tdap as well as TB testing.

There was also a suggestion that we contract out the pre-placement to an urgent care center. The candidate would then come to EHS for the mask fit, and clearance.

I am currently at a large academic medical center. My opinion is that there is so much wrong on many levels with tis approach. I would like to get opinions from many of you especially of this process works.

Best regards,

Philip Adamo, M.D., MPH, CPE
Baystate Health
Springfield, MA