[MCOH-EH] [External] immunizations/ TB testing who pays?

Mazo, James JMazo at stfranciscare.org
Wed Nov 7 08:31:40 PST 2018

Phil,

Great question for the health center employee health services group.   These are indeed trying financial times in medicine and I to find administration at most hospitals trying to cut cost by whatever means possible.  We require multiple vaccinations and titers for our pre-employment hires, cost of which is incurred by the institution in the current state.  The only regulation that I can find is the hepatitis B vaccination and titers, and blood-borne pathogen testing as you stated.  OSHA is silent on the topic of pre-employment testing remuneration, but if it is a mandate for employment, I think the legal system would enjoy the opportunity to litigate the pushing of such mandated testing and vaccination costs onto the pre-hire at their expense.  If it is a condition of employment, the employer is to incur the costs.  As to "farming out" pre-employment exams and testing, I would welcome them to perform a cost analysis of your services, and I am sure that in-house exams are a great cost savings compared to a third party urgent care center.

My opinion only,

JEM

James E. Mazo, MD, FACOEM
Medical Director and Section Chief Occupational Medicine
Saint Francis Hospital and Medical Center
A Member of Trinity Health Of New England
jmazo at stfranciscare.org
W  860-714-5339
F  860-714-8068
114 Woodland Street
Gengras 4320
Hartford, CT 06105

stfranciscare.com | facebook | twitter | Instagram | LinkedIn