[MCOH-EH] Accepting Medical Waivers for Flu Guidelines

Yvonne Noel Mary.Noel at childrens.com
Tue May 21 11:08:27 PDT 2019

Children's process is very similar to the one outlined by Amy.  The requests are reviewed individually, but as far as the medical criteria, if it is a contraindication per CDC, it is usually approved.
An Infectious Disease physician  sits on our committee, so if the individual requests exemption for a  medical condition, he can provide guidance to the group as to whether it is advised to give the influenza vaccine or not.
Depending on the situation, it may be a temporary exemption or a permanent exemption.  Employees receiving chemotherapy  may not fully benefit from the(inactivated)  vaccine, but it may provide partial protection. If the information provided on the exemption form is not sufficient for the physician to advise on a decision related to any medical condition, specific questions are provided to the employee so they can obtain additional information.

Yvonne Noel, RN, BSN, CIC, COHNs