[MCOH-EH] Benchmarking injury rates in your hospital(s)

Galaid Edward I Edward.Galaid at rsfh.com
Fri Oct 4 11:12:06 PDT 2019

We have been wrestling with this TCIR concept for the last several years.  It is on the corporate scorecard.  Many are concerned about temporal trends month-to-month...but the TCIR does not resonate with most working  in the trenches. Would appreciate any insight as to how you use the TCIR.  We are also trying to get some leading indicators in place.

-Do you use the TCIR to track your injury rates as a benchmark with other healthcare institutions?

-If you don't use the TCIR, can you share what kind of metrics do you use helpful?

-If you do use the TCIR, who do you include in the denominator of the calculation?
-All employees?
-Just those who work in clinical settings?
-Just those on the in-patient side?
-If you  have a major outpatient component in your organization, such as primary care practices, do you include those?
-If you have a large administrative component (e.g., we have a building with 600 admin people in it), do you include them?

-And finally, if you do use the TCIR, how do you determine whether changes over time, either favorable or unfavorable, stand up to tests of statistical significance?

Will compile responses and share.  Again, appreciate your time.

Ed Galaid

Edward I. Galaid, MD, MPH, FACOEM
ABIM, ABPM (OM)
Medical Director, Roper St. Francis Physician Partners Occupational Medicine
Charleston, SC
Member, ACOEM Task Group,  Guidance for the Medical Evaluation of Law Enforcement Officers
Member, NFPA 1582 Task Group
(O) 843-402-5053

Our Mission: Healing all people with compassion, faith and excellence.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including
any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended
recipients and may contain confidential and/or legally
privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and
destroy all copies of the original message. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is
prohibited. Thank you.