[MCOH-EH] RFT

Cockrum, MD David S dcockrum at frhs.org
Thu Jan 16 07:44:37 PST 2020

The intent of the Respiratory Protection Program is to protect all HCWs who might come into contact with a patient that has an airborne transmissible disease (ATD, in CDC parlance). This can extend to any HCW that might enter the patient care area, even briefly - so dietary, lab, x-ray, etc should be included. A thorough program will need to include ALL HCWs with potential exposure - which can be a challenge to interpret how far this extends. Hopefully you have close collaboration with the Infection Control team as well as Safety experts.

In some institutions, the responsibility for compliance falls on management. In these places, the Employee Health (or equivalent) is responsible for communicating to the department heads who has been fit tested, and the managers ensure that their employees get it done. In other institutions, the entire responsibility falls on EH. I tend to prefer the former - let the managers do what they are paid to do, and that is manage their own employees, to include ensuring that employees are compliant with EH requirements (fit testing, flu shots, etc).

How you structure your program to make that happen is up to you, and meeting the challenge of a mobile employee population can be difficult. Your program has to be tailored to the needs of your own organization - I suspect there are about 20 correct answers to this challenge.

A long, but thorough, treatise on this topic may be found here: https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2015-117/pdfs/2015-117.pdf?id=10.26616/NIOSHPUB2015117

Hope this helps a bit.

David

DAVIDCOCKRUM, MD
Physician
Faith Regional Physician Services
Occupational Health
(402) 844 8300
2024 Pasewalk Avenue, Suite 2, Norfolk, NE 68701
Click on the logos to learn more about our services.
This message and any attachments are confidential, may contain privileged or legally protected communications or information, and are intended solely for the recipient named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any review, distribution, dissemination or copying of this message or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, you should immediately notify the sender by a return e-mail and delete the message from your computer system.