[MCOH-EH] Covid protocols/polocoes

Abhijay Karandikar dr_abhik at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 15 12:47:57 PDT 2020

 Our policies and procedures have evolved over the last few weeks based on prevailing epidemic conditions. Based on the fact that we now have community transmission in our state and according to CDC guidelines, we are allowing exposed employees to remain at work as long as they are asymptomatic. If they are symptomatic, they have to remain in quarantine for 7 days
since the onset of symptoms + 72 hours symptom free (no fever without the use of anti-pyretics and a significant reduction of respiratory symptoms). We are not doing contact tracing anymore.

Once the employee finishes the quarantine period as noted above, we have a return to work process where the employee uses our "Return to Work" form and submits the form via e-mail at least 24 hours prior to the planned shift, as long as they are asymptomatic. This form is essentially a self attestation form by the employee stating that he/she is free of symptoms and is fit to return to work. Designated local employee health office personnel throughout our system review the form for accuracy and that the employee attests that
he/she is asymptomatic.

Once the employee returns to work, they follow current infection prevention processes. Mask wearing is mandatory across our system and so are daily self attestations and temperature screening in most areas.

We have also developed an accommodations request process for employees that request reassignment away from caring for COVID-19 patients.

Abhijay

Abhijay P. Karandikar, MD, MPH, FACOEM