[MCOH-EH] 1/2 face elastomeric masks/masks with exhalation valves

Jeremy Biggs jerbiggs at yahoo.com
Mon May 11 10:28:07 PDT 2020

With everything going on, we have been looking at more widely using 1/2 face 3M P100 masks. CDC recently put out that no employee with COVID19 should wear any mask with exhalation valve on it. My infection prevention team and epidemiologist have brought up the concern about using these for anyone given the concerns of pre-symptomatic spread of the virus.
I have been working with a team to print an adapter to place on the exhalation valve. We have not tested it yet to see how it affects breath-ability. Anyone else already doing this and have feedback on what is working or not working?
Thank you
Jeremy Biggs MD MSPH FACOEMAssistant ProfessorOccupational Health and Safety Director, University of Utah