[MCOH-EH] Exergen Temporal Contact Thermometers for patient screening programs

Galaid Edward I Edward.Galaid at rsfh.com
Wed Jun 3 13:20:10 PDT 2020

We are considering switching from the infrared to the temporal contact thermometers.  Does anyone have any experience with them?
Regarding the IR thermometers...we have been getting a fair amount of complaints about wildly incorrect readings...like 4 degrees off.
We suspect that the issues include the instrument, environmental issues (e.g., standing out in the sun waiting to be screened), and user technique.
The IR instruments we use are the relatively cheapie ones under $100.  Any suggestions on how to optimize their use would be appreciated.  The instructions were unhelpful.
Thanks

Ed Galaid

Edward I. Galaid, MD, MPH, FACOEM
ABIM, ABPM (OM)
Medical Director, Roper St. Francis Physician Partners Occupational Medicine
Charleston, SC
Member, ACOEM Task Group,  Guidance for the Medical Evaluation of Law Enforcement Officers
Special Expert, NFPA Fire Service Occupational Safety & Health (FIX-AAA) Committee
(O) 843-402-5053

Our Mission: Healing all people with compassion, faith and excellence.

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including
any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended
recipients and may contain confidential and/or legally
privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and
destroy all copies of the original message. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure, or distribution is
prohibited. Thank you.