[MCOH-EH] Fire fighter fit for duty evaluations after COVID-19

Tara Dockery tdockery at oceanbeachhospital.com
Wed Dec 23 10:19:40 PST 2020

Hello Donald-
I wish you would have included your personal email so I could have responded to you and not to the entire group, but here goes!

I do not work with fire fighters, but I did have a member of our staff very sick COVID positive in the spring. Of course she was closely followed by our health department, her provider and I called her myself to see if I could help her in any way, drop of food or groceries, and make sure I wasn't treating her like she was a leper, and genuinely wanted to know if she was ok. The health department said she was good to return to "life" after 14 days, but she did not feel up to it.  Her provider and I were talking back and forth (because earlier she had called in for pain meds, as the coughing she was doing was causing back and shoulder pain) and I mentioned to the provider to see if she was ready to come back to work.

In the end, though the health department had said 14 days, she actually was at home to weak to walk for 22 days, then when she was released to come back to work she only worked 6 hour days, two days of the week, with several days in between so she could build up strength.

I don't know if your staff is finding similar needs, but that was my experience. This employee is a young strong woman, but has also been out for very weakened, fatigued state twice since her recovery. I believe she may be one of those who has life long effects from contracting Coronavirus!

Tara