[MCOH-EH] HCWs on Opioids

Cockrum, MD David S dcockrum at frhs.org
Tue Jun 14 07:03:49 PDT 2022

Fellow Medical Center experts-

Do your institutions have policies regarding HCWs who are prescribed opioids or other sedating medications (for legitimate medical purposes)? We had one report to work recently who self-identified as having been prescribed an opioid. I advised that she could work but should be monitored for signs of sedation or distraction, but our HR and MR are wondering if there is any policy guidance warranted to help guide future situations. I know that management should be notified for "safety sensitive" jobs, but HCWs aren't usually defined as such (not that they shouldn't be, but I've never seen it).

If you have a policy or guidance that you can share, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

David

DAVIDCOCKRUM, MD
Physician
Faith Regional Physician Services
Occupational Medicine
(402) 844 8300
2024 Pasewalk Avenue, Suite 2, Norfolk, NE 68701
Click on the logos to learn more about our services.
This message and any attachments are confidential, may contain privileged or legally protected communications or information, and are intended solely for the recipient named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any review, distribution, dissemination or copying of this message or any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this message in error, you should immediately notify the sender by a return e-mail and delete the message from your computer system.