[MCOH-EH] Changing of Pre-employment Medical Evaluation and Drug Screen

Rudnick, Howard L Howard.Rudnick at tuhs.temple.edu
Fri Jun 24 07:08:43 PDT 2022

Our institution has changed in many ways since Covid in terms of using off site personnel and the critical need for personnel.  I have proposed changes in our Pre-employment medical evaluation.  I would appreciate your opinion of the suggested changes.

1.       Change of wording from pre-employment examination to Pre-Employment Medical Evaluation:

a.      Comprehensive medical history reviewed by an Occupational Health physician

b.      Only selectively do a physical exam

c.       Most useful information regarding decision to hire from a medical standpoint obtained from the comprehensive medical history.

2.      Eliminate collecting vaccination titers on wholly distant/non clinical staff:

a.      Process:

                                                              i.      Email sent to Occupational Health from HR

                                                            ii.      Occupational Health communicates with the Manager asking for assurance that individual will be totally off site and we communicate to them by email that they may not work in TUHS buildings.

                                                          iii.      Emails scanned into the employees Occupational Health Medical Record

                                                          iv.      Suggestions for other processes welcome

3.      Eliminate alcohol testing:

a.      Very low yield

4.      No drug and alcohol testing required for those who will wholly work from distance and not be working in TUHS buildings

5.      All applicants who live a significant distance be allowed to start work and obtain their drug screen during their first week on campus.

Howard L. Rudnick, MD,MHA,FACP
Clinical Professor (Adjunct), Department of Medicine
Medical Director, Occupational Health Services
Temple University Health System
Office:  (215) 707-3026
Cell:  (267) 838-7040

This electronic message is intended to be for the use of the named recipient, and may contain information that is confidential or privileged. This communication may contain protected health information (PHI) that is legally protected from inappropriate disclosure by the Privacy Standards of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and relevant Pennsylvania Laws. You can direct questions concerning PHI or HIPAA to the Corporate Compliance and Privacy Officer at (215) 707-5605. If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, you should notify the sender immediately by telephone or by return e-mail and delete and destroy all copies of this message.