[MCOH-EH] Changing of Pre-employment Medical Evaluation and Drug Screen

wendy thanassi wendy.thanassi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 24 12:13:22 PDT 2022

Hi Howard,
Thoughts for you:

*Pre-Employment Medical Evaluation*
Our illustrious Amy Behrman would call it a pre-hire physical, because they
must be post-offer and pre-hire.
*reviewed by an Occupational Health physician*
You could consider having the comprehensive review by a physician or LIP
(licensed independent practitioner/ RNP/PA) if that helps your service.
  *Only selectively do a physical exam*
For union/equity's sake, would be best to lay that out so everyone is
treated fairly... or one could end up being perceived as treating a group
differently than others (race, gender, age)... or even if you examine all
people with big BMI's it could be  a problem.
*Eliminate collecting vaccination titers on wholly distant/non clinical
staff*
I would have the same drug testing and vaccination rules for everyone (we
do). People switch jobs, come in for trainings, etc. all the time. Same
with vaccinations: the worst exposures Stanford had were housekeeping who
went all throughout buildings, working hard, breathing heavy in rooms. I
consider all HCP to be clinical, personally. Except maybe HR and fiscal :).
*drug screen during their first week on campus*
And I wouldn't clear them for hire until the drug test is negative.

But I'm, perhaps, conservative! Interested to hear what others say.