[MCOH-EH] Monkeypox exposure in HCWs

Michael A. Sauri, MD, MPH&TM, FACP, FACPM msauri at ohcmd.com
Tue Jun 28 13:19:38 PDT 2022

Dr. Scott,

I serve as an Occupational Medicine consultant for several research
facilities who are currently working with orthopox viruses (including
Monkeypox).  For such non-highly attenuated vaccinia strains, we have been
giving workers ACAMBIS 2000 vaccination (via CDC).  My Staff and I are
up-to-date with our Vaccinia vaccination and have administered over 3000
smallpox vaccinations over three decades at Occupational Health Consultants
(OHC).   Compared to a every 10-year boosting cycle for researchers working
with non-highly attenuated vaccinia strains , a booster is recommended by
CDC every 3 years for anyone working with the more virulent orthopox viruses
(e.g. Monkeypox virus) .

I spoke with our CDC Vaccinia Vaccine contact earlier this month and CDC
plans to use Jynneos (replication-deficient modified vaccinia Ankara)
vaccine for "ring vaccination" strategy for high-risk close contacts of
monkeypox cases in the USA.   Jynneos is currently being used for "ring
vaccination" in the UK.  At that time, CDC had only 1000 doses of Jynneos
available.

In addition to the ACAM2000 and Jynneos vaccines, TPOXX (Tecovirimat) and
Tembexa (brincidofovir, a lipid conjugate of cidofovir), alone or in
combination have been shown to be effective antiviral therapies for cases of
severe monkeypox in immunocompromised victims.  The US government has
stockpiled 1.7 million courses of Tecovirmat in the Strategic National
Stockpile.  Imvanex in Europe and Imvamune in Canada (makers of Jynneos) are
starting to gear up vaccine production in response to the monkeypox
outbreak.

Depending on the number of Monkeypox cases in the USA, there may not be
enough Jynneos to give to researchers working with Monkey Pox virus until
the end of the year.  Consequently, we are continuing to offer ACAM2000 to
anyone who is planning to work with the Monkeypox virus.    Prior to
releasing any Jynneos vaccine, CDC is requesting that organizations  provide
them with a list of their healthcare workers who will be assigned to
treatment teams for a Monkey Pox victims, as well as, their researchers who
plan to work with Monkeypox virus.

I hope this is helpful.

Michael

Michael A. Sauri, MD, MPH&TM, FACP,