[MCOH-EH] Stopping Pre Employment Urine Drug Screens

Dr Joe Fanucchi drjoe at meditrax.com
Tue Aug 2 10:23:12 PDT 2022

On 8/2/2022 8:10 AM, Mike via MCOH-EH wrote:
> /Off the top of my head I can think of two issues to investigate./
> /1. If the hospital takes Medicare or Medicaid or other forms of
> federal money, they may be obligated to do something to meet the
> federal (and possibly state) Drug Free Workplace mandate./
> /2. If the Workers' Comp carrier offers a discount rate for a
> workforce that has been screened./

Colleagues:

My own personal opinion, as well as my employer's (oh, wait, I'm retired
from practice -- so my only employer now is myself):

  *

    EVERY hospital in this country takes Medicare or Medicaid or "other
    forms of federal money." That clearly does not obligate federal
    facilities (such as the VA or IHS hospitals) to conduct pre- or
    post-offer drug testing on job applicants.

  *

    There is NO language anywhere in the Drug Free Workplace Act -- none
    at all -- that requires urine drug testing of workers or job
    applicants.

  *

    Claiming that all hospital employees are somehow in "safety
    sensitive" positions is a joke -- does that include the workers in
    the hospital gift shop who never handle financial transactions, but
    only point out to visitors where they can find cute stuffed toys for
    their hospitalized kids?

I agree with Dr Melanie Swift -- a lot of the hype about the benefit of
universal preplacement urine drug screening seems to come from vendors
who sell that service.

Respectfully,

Joe Fanucchi

--
*Joe Fanucchi MD FACOEM*
President and Medical Director
drjoe at meditrax.com
<http://www.meditrax.com/>
/MediTrax: Everything you need, at a fraction of the cost!/