[MCOH-EH] ending universal masking

Deanna Prater dprater at luhonline.com
Fri Apr 21 12:07:14 PDT 2023

We ended universal masking when the Oregon Health Authority declared it was no longer required for healthcare facilities.  Right now, we require any patients and visitors with signs of illness to mask, and we have a visitation policy that indicates non-compliance is grounds for visitor restriction.

For staff, they are asked to mask for certain situations: if they have signs of illness but are cleared for COVID, Influenza etc.  or if they've had an exposure that doesn't warrant removal from the schedule but we're allowing them to work (low risk exposure).  We don't tie it to vaccination status, because it is not logical for us.  When I reviewed the data last year for our organization, the numbers of staff positive for COVID was proportionally equal among vaccinated and non-vaccinated.  Vaccinated staff were getting COVID at the same rate as non-vaccinated.  So, for us, t wouldn't make any sense to ask non-vaccinated staff to mask.  With staff following our IC policies, we've avoided any outbreaks in our facility.

Deanna Prater
Director of Infection Control, Employee Health & Safety
Lower Umpqua Hospital
600 Ranch Road
Reedsport, Oregon 97467
Office:  (541) 271-6323
Fax:  (541) 271-6353

“If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.”