[MCOH-EH] 12th ICOH Occupational Health for Health Workers Scientific Committee Conference, October 25-27, 2023 in New York City

Behrman, Amy behrman at pennmedicine.upenn.edu
Sat Jul 8 18:42:23 PDT 2023

  We cordially welcome everyone to the 12th ICOH Occupational Health for Health Workers Scientific Committee       (SCOHHW) conference  to be held on October 25-27, 2023 in New York City.

The world needs 7 million more health workers to meet the current demands, and a shortfall of 13 million health workers is projected by 2030, mostly in low- and lower-middle income countries.  In a post-pandemic era when Occupational Health has been placed front and center in the global setting, it is our responsibility to express and analyze the lessons learned, the current situation of essential work and essential workers
<https://outlook.office.com/mail/sentitems/id/AAMkADU1NzZjY2RhLWM1ZjMtNDQyYS1hODAzLWRlZDhlNTAwZTIyNwBGAAAAAABYFNposvCkR6jUjHyNmTTcBwB461J%2F2L1ET5oPid9tcv%2FtAAAAAAEJAAB461J%2F2L1ET5oPid9tcv%2FtAAV6%2BVChAAA%3D#x_x__msocom_1>, and the future of decent work for health workers.

We are planning a 2 1/2 day conference, which will be held in the iconic New York Academy of Medicine where this year’s theme will be “Occupational Health for Vulnerable Health Workers” with the following main topics:

-          The Global Shortage of Health Workers
-      Occupational Health (OH) for migrant health workers

-          OH for informal health workers

-          Precarious work in healthcare

-          Ethics in healthcare

-          OH for pregnant health workers

-          OH for ageing health workers

-          Psychosocial risk factors

-          Ergonomics for health workers

-          International and immigration laws for health workers

-          Women, Health, and Work

-          Worker[<https://outlook.office.com/mail/sentitems/id/AAMkADU1NzZjY2RhLWM1ZjMtNDQyYS1hODAzLWRlZDhlNTAwZTIyNwBGAAAAAABYFNposvCkR6jUjHyNmTTcBwB461J%2F2L1ET5oPid9tcv%2FtAAAAAAEJAAB461J%2F2L1ET5oPid9tcv%2FtAAV6%2BVChAAA%3D#x_x__msocom_3> compensation for COVID infections and long-term COVID

-          Tuberculosis, COVID and influenza in health care settings

The day prior to the conference (10/24/23) we will also be hosting a full day conference "GLOBAL PERSPECTIVE ON OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH FOR HEALTH WORKERS DAY".  This will be comprised of 3 consecutive panel presentations and discussions organized by WHO, ILO and IOM (International Organization for Migration).

Our previous SCOHHW conferences have had great successes, and we are working to keep the  tradition of outstanding academics, evidence-based science, scientific translation and implementation to promote policy and a preventive culture to protect the health and lives of health workers globally. There will be social activities where you can meet and exchange information with our International Colleagues. The event will be a joint effort with the ICOH SC of Women, Health and Work

To learn more about the conference and to register, please visit our website: https://www.jhsph.edu/research/centers-and-institutes/johns-hopkins-education-and-research-center-for-occupational-safety-and-health/icoh-scohhcw2023

 We hope to see you here in NYC!

Posted on behalf of:

Gwen Brachman MD,MS,MPH,FACOEM – Chair of SCOHHW
Acran Salmen-Navarro MD, PhD[WB4]<https://outlook.office.com/mail/sentitems/id/AAMkADU1NzZjY2RhLWM1ZjMtNDQyYS1hODAzLWRlZDhlNTAwZTIyNwBGAAAAAABYFNposvCkR6jUjHyNmTTcBwB461J%2F2L1ET5oPid9tcv%2FtAAAAAAEJAAB461J%2F2L1ET5oPid9tcv%2FtAAV6%2BVChAAA%3D#x_x__msocom_4> , MSC – Conference Chair

Amy J Behrman, MD, FACP, FACOEM
Division Chief, Occupational Medicine
Professor, Perelman School of Medicine
University of Pennsylvania