[MCOH-EH] Pregnancy and Live Vaccines

Jakub Furmaga jfurmaga at me.com
Mon Sep 18 06:48:58 PDT 2023

Good morning, I wanted to ask how everyone else is handling pregnancy testing before administering live vaccines (MMR and Varicella) to employees. Some have been accepting "I am not pregnant and not planning on becoming pregnant" as sufficient to clear them for receipt of the live vaccines. However is that sufficient? Many clinics/emergency departments perform urine pregnancy testing on all females of childbearing age before doing anything that could have negative repercussions on the fetus. Should we do the same when giving the live vaccines? JakubJakub Furmaga, MDMedical Director of Occupational HealthUT Southwestern, Dallas