[MCOH-EH] Covid Vaccination

David S. Cockrum David.S.Cockrum at hitchcock.org
Mon Oct 16 10:25:45 PDT 2023

For Dartmouth-Hitchcock:

2023/24 COVID vaccine is not mandated but is being provided free of charge (no billing to insurance) to employees. We purchased Moderna, if they want a different brand they are on their own. Reporting of vaccine receipt is encouraged but not required. Decision not to mandate was based on the late presence of the vaccine plus the confusion of the mandate status. “Up to date” no longer had a meaning since the new vaccine is 1 dose for adults regardless of past vaccine history, so a completely new mandate would have been required. So it was opted to have it optional at this time.

Flu vaccine remains a mandate, including in remote workers. Now that I am somewhat established at Dartmouth Health, I am considering revising the policy to remove the remote workers from the mandate, though I anticipate a lot of resistance.

PPE remains optional. If there is an “outbreak” in a work area (defined by the manager reporting staff shortages due to reported cases in employees), the work area will go under mandatory masking for at least 10 days from the last known exposure. This decision is being managed by work center at Dartmouth Hitchcock (e.g. the ED, particular wards, OSC, etc) and by facility at our smaller associated hospitals. There is no masking mandate for those who are exempted from the flu vaccine.

David

David S. Cockrum, MD, MPH
He/Him/His
Medical Director & Section Chief