[MCOH-EH] Malaria and IGRA

Wendy Thanassi wendy.thanassi at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 18:05:44 PST 2024

I can't see any medical reason that that would happen!

Malaria would make a person's general immune response rise and that would
be corrected for in the test as follows:

 - The amount of background interferon-gamma that is detected in the
Quantiferon Nil tube gets subtracted from the interferon-gamma that is
measured in the TB antigen-specific tubes: that means the result should
remain accurate.

Of course one's pre-test probability of TB and clinical assessment should
always drive the testing and treatment plans.

Best,
Wendy Thanassi MD