[CASL-L] Student ceiling due date

Elaine Lettiere lettieree at prestonschools.org
Mon Jun 10 05:49:27 PDT 2013

UGH!!  The worst time of the year for me is trying to collect outstanding
books!

I too have all books due 2 weeks before school ends and then I spend ALL of
the next few weeks gathering the books.  I have two libraries which
logistically makes the collection challenging.  I am constantly running
back and forth checking who still has books out so I am not calling and
emailing families who have already returned.

Our policy is to hold report cards until a family makes contact with the
principal to plead their case.  I am not always aware of who is on free and
reduced lunch or who is in a special circumstance but the principal does.
 He then determines the "payment" options~whether to waive it, partial
payments and we have even had struggling families "work" off their lost
books with school jobs.

In any case, I would not want to do any circulation closer to the end of
the year.  Book round-up is already a BIG job in the time we already have
put aside.

Good luck my colleagues!

Elaine

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 8:38 AM, Carrie Seiden <
cseiden at northbranfordschools.org> wrote:

> Good Morning,
>
> We stop circulating two weeks before school ends. Like Lisa, we gladly
> make exceptions when teachers ask for more time. Once the ceiling date has
> passed, the books are transferred to the teachers' accounts and I make
> that known. I will print out a circulation "receipt" to help the teachers
> manage the books on their end. Typically we get most of the books back. I
> feel it is worth the risk to meet the needs of students and staff. Good
> Luck!
>
> Carrie G. Seiden, School Librarian
> Totoket Valley Elementary School
> 1388 Middletown Avenue
> Northford, CT 06472
> phone 203 484-1455
> fax      203 484-6090
>
> "We need to teach people not only how, but also why to read. The struggle
> is not to make people read more, but to make them want to read more."  -
> Andrew Solomon
>

> The information in this transmission is privileged and confidential and
> intended only for the recipient(s) listed above.  If you have received
> this transmission in error, please notify us immediately by telephone or
> email and delete the original message and any attachments.  Any review or
> use of the information contained in this email message by persons other
> than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
> recipient, please notify  the North Branford Public Schools immediately by
> telephone or email and destroy all copies of this message and any
> attachments.

Elaine Lettiere
School Librarian
Preston Veterans Memorial School