[CASL-L] RE: summer reading request

Yulo-medeiros, Julie jyulo at cromwell.k12.ct.us
Tue Mar 19 12:31:50 PDT 2013

I have to ask the question. Why does it have to be 200 pages or less? I just went through our collection to see what I could recommend and only found two nonfiction books under 200 pages that might have broad appeal to students in grades 9-12. However, I'm sure I could come up with several books in the range between 200 and 350. Do you use Titlewave.com? In the advance search feature you can limit the page numbers, select nonfiction and young adult to find many title under 200 pages.

Here are some possibilities from the Titlewave search:

*         Chasing Lincoln's Killer by James L. Swanson

*         Dear Teen Me

*         Discovering Wes Moore by Wes Moore

*         I am a SEAL Team Six warrior : memoirs of an American soldier by Wasdin, Howard E.

*
These were the only two in CHS's collection:

*         From Baghdad, with love : a Marine, the war, and a dog named Lava by Jay Kopelman with Melinda Roth

*         Parallel play : growing up with undiagnosed Asperger's by Tim Page

Good luck with finding a book for your summer reading program. Last year we used No Impact Man by Colin Beavan but it doesn't work for your school because it has 276 pages though the book ends on page 225. The rest of the pages contain extra information such as the appendix and index.

Julie

Julie Yulo-Medeiros
School Librarian
Virtual High School Site Coordinator