[CASL-L] 1:1 iPads

Juliann T. Moskowitz juliann14 at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 24 07:50:48 PDT 2014

I just sent this to Deb but, I am posting to the list at Pam's request.

This is our first year as a 1:1 iPad school. It is also my first year here so I can't say how it has changed the program but I can tell you what I have experienced. I don't think teachers have used the library a lot in the past so I am doing a lot of outreach and going to classrooms. I don't have any dedicated instructional space in the library and it's mostly used by study hall students so I go to the classes for instruction.
We subscribe to over 20 databases. You can see them on our website: http://www.sjcadets.org/page.cfm?p=1104    I don't know if  any of the databases have apps but, they are all iPad friendly. I have shown classes how to put icons on their home screens for the databases by using the share icon.   Our print collection is very small. The library space that I'm in is only 2 years old and when they moved it here, they weeded literally HALF of the collection. It went from 12,000-6,000 volumes and we have about 800 kids.  It's way too small so I am hoping to augment the collection with ebooks. I'm currently looking at vendors.

If you get any good information about ebooks, could you pass it along?
Thanks and good luck.

Juliann T. Moskowitz
Director of Library Media
St. Joseph High School
Trumbull, CT 06611
juliann14 at hotmail.com

Access
to knowledge is the superb, the supreme act of truly great civilizations. Of
all the institutions that purport to do this, free libraries stand virtually
alone in accomplishing this mission. --Toni Morrison