[CASL-L] Opportunity for Virtual Nutmeg Battle of the Books

Jane Martellino janemartellino at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 10:17:25 PST 2016

Happy Super Bowl Sunday,

Before the festivities begin, I wanted to share an opportunity.

When I taught in Florida, Battle of the Books was huge with grade 4
students and they used the state book award titles for the books.  When I
started the Charter Oak Children's Book Award, I created a Battle of Books
for those titles and New Fairfield Schools continues running one each year
with grade two. It's a lot of fun and motivates students to read deeply and
re-read.  This past spring, I created a Family Summer Reading Challenge and
selected 12 titles which families read and then our back to school picnic,
there was a Family Battle of the Books based on those titles. Last year, in
Region 15, we had a grade 5 book bowl at each school and then a district
one. We used the Nutmeg books.  So, I've had a lot of experience with book
bowls/battles.

This summer I read all the Nutmeg nominees for Intermediate and created a
bank of questions. I was getting a head start on repeating a book bowl at
my Region 15 school, however, I switched to Region 14. But, I want to
expand this concept.

My new idea is to host Battle of the Books virtually during the latter part
of May. This is how I see it working:

1. You could host your own school book bowl and your final team would
compete in this virtual battle.  However, you could simplify it and offer a
qualifying quiz to all interested grade 4/5 students and form a team based
upon the scores.

2. A ladder for the competition would be created based upon who signs-up.
Your team would compete with  2 or 3 other teams through Google Hangout or
Skype.  A moderator (could be you or your principal) would ask the
questions to the teams.  A winner would result and would move on to the
finals.  Teams not competing in the finals could view the live Google
Hangout.

 Depending upon how many participating schools, that number would determine
how many teams compete in a round. It would be a lot of fun and a way to
create a state battle without having to travel.

3. No major work on your end but a willingness to promote the Battle of
Books with your grade 4 and 5 students and then facilitate the qualifying
quiz the first week of May to form your team that will compete.  Teams
should be 4-6 players.  You would then be assigned a week to complete your
first round and would be assigned competitor schools which you would
arrange a mutually agreeable time to compete virtually.  If your team makes
the next round, same steps. Ill provide your with the qualifying quiz and
the actual battle round all spelled out with instructions and all questions.

Complete the attached Google Form if you think you might want to pursue
this project and we can arrange a Google Hangout meeting.

This is for grades 4 and 5.

https://goo.gl/HQdH2V

Jane Martellino

--