[CASL-L] Weeding non-fiction books

Carol Ansel cansel at williamsschool.org
Fri Jan 6 08:11:58 PST 2017

Kristen, your question about weeding and ultimate size of collection is
one that I have been struggling with myself. I've been doing a very
serious weeding of the collection I inherited when I started here 3.5
years ago. We're talking hundreds of books a year in a collection that was
probably 7-8 thousand to start. We reconfigured into a learning commons
model this past summer,  which included the removal of about 150 linear
feet of shelving. (Wow, once I add it all up I'm thinking, sheesh, no
wonder the shelves feel so crowded!)

While I'm not aware of any standards or actual books-per-student
recommendations, even if they did exist I suspect they would need to be
updated to reflect the increasing inclusion of non-print materials in our
collections. (Funny thing, though - did anyone's budget ever increase to
cover the cost of the new formats? I suspect not, thus they came out of
"book budgets.")  Ultimately we want adequate resources (print and
non-print) to meet our students' and teachers' needs - but how to measure
that subjectively is quite tricky.

Here's the other "aha!" that occurred to me in this process: Once we
reduce our shelf space and change our configurations, we put ourselves in
a steady state situation in terms of number of books. In other words, it
becomes a case of "buy one, weed one." I no  longer have the space to
display books cover out, my shelves are way beyond the recommended 2/3 to
3/4 full, and shelving sometimes becomes an annoying game of Shift the
Books.

I guess I have more questions than answers, and I'd love to hear other
people's experiences.

Carol

Carol M. Ansel
Librarian
The Williams School
182 Mohegan Avenue
New London, CT 06320-4110

860.439.2784

[Image:82616_81622_0.png]
      [ http://www.williamsschool.org ]www.williamsschool.org

This electronic message, including any attachments, contains information
that may be confidential and is intended for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient of this message, please
notify the sender by replying to this message and then delete all copies
of it from your computer system. Thank you.