[CASL-L] Genrefying Collection??

Gail Nelson gwnelson100 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 18 06:32:26 PST 2019

Good morning!

I saw the recent discussion about genrefying fiction. After spending years
dug in defending alphabetical author (and fighting the knot in my stomach
when I think about making decisions about which categories books belong in)
I am considering dipping my toe in the genrefying waters. I already do
alternatives to make the books easier to find: displays, genre labels on
the spine, etc.

I am still resistant because in my experience I can go into most public
libraries and independently find the book I am looking for.  In Barnes and
Noble I often have to ask for help to find a book.

Does anyone have a great experience they would like to share after
genrefying? Persuasive reasoning why this is a good idea?  Contrary
thoughts are also welcome! I know this is a tall order, but I would
appreciate any input you are willing to share at a very busy time.

Thanks so much!

Gail Nelson
School Librarian
Harwinton Consolidated School