[MCOH-EH] Question on medical marijuana

Fred Fung MD Fred.Fung at sharp.com
Thu May 11 12:24:46 PDT 2017

I agree with Warner and others. In addition to what has been discussed, medical marijuana/cannabis in plant form (not to be mixed up with FDA approved Marinol, Syndros, and Cesamet which are prescribed) is not "prescribed" but "recommended", thus no licensed providers would write a formal prescription under DEA Controlled Substance regulations. Even though most state medical and dental boards will not trigger investigation or sanctions against providers, unless they wish to risk their DEA registration or getting DOJ attention, I am not aware that licensed healthcare professionals will write or send a prescription on medical marijuana and/or counsel patients on the dosage and side effects or be covered under professional liability insurance in case of adverse event especially when third party (person taking medical marijuana crashes into school bus) is involved. The "marijuana card" is not a formal prescription process under DEA regulations nor in compliance with state pharmacy board's medication prescription regulations.

I'd recommend that each medical institution look into not only the impact of DFWO (i.e. employer's rights under employment law) but also intoxication defense (either recreational or medical marijuana) and implications of each state's mandate to reimburse medical cannabis for employees. These three issues are frequently intertwined.

Fred